Since HP introduced us to the all new P4015 just a few months ago, 2, count em 2, firmware revisions have been released. The newest firmware is version 04.046.2A released in early September.
The P4015 is the newest reincarnation of the LaserJet 4000 series. The 4000 series has been the mainstay of savvy business’s around the world for a decade and change. While these are not massive workgroup printers like the 8000 and 9000 series, they do well for medium workgroups of 2-15 users. The toner cartridges have a respectable page yield, which leads to a lower cost per page. (see this post to understand the correlation between printer cost and cost per page.)
But, back to the Firmware. As with any HP new release, the P4015 has had a few hiccups. The rapid firmware releases on the part of HP are a positive indication that HP is really staying on the ball with all the bug fixes.
Here is a list of the published bug fixes that this newest revision corrects. Even if the problem you are having is not listed here, go ahead and update your firmware, some fixes are not listed.
• ANY/ANY is not available for Tray2 or the Envelope Feeder
• 49.4C02 error when posting status messages from Chai SOE concurrently
• Bad string displayed when inputting PIN code for stored job
• IOFs using “Internal Page” causes Menu Map, Configuration Page, or File Directory to be corrupted
• Information on the “Show ME How Supported Paper” page is incorrect
• PIN Printing does not work when the EWS is password protected
• Help Message not descriptive enough for the Order Maintenance Kit warning
• 4015 does not report USB stick SN correctly when it is 20 digits long
• Unable to print fonts in Hebrew
• Adaptive Printing Solution – Quiet Mode
• Forms Edge to Edge